The city of Lençóis is located in the Sincorá range, region of diamond mines, midwest of the Chapada Diamantina, Bahia state, 410 km from Salvador. Its foundation was in the mid-nineteenth century, year 1845, with the miner’s flow coming from Minas Gerais state, the traders coming from Salvador and Europe added to slaves brought especially from Angola.
In 1856, became the Commercial Village of Lençóis, and May 20, 1864 the gold mining economic prosperity of this traditional society that had commercial relations with Paris, Amsterdam and Liverpool secured his elevation to city status.
The architectural ensemble marked by neo-gothic features in 1973 was listed by Iphan as national heritage.
Due to its natural beauty formed by the rich biodiversity of their ecosystems, secured the creation of the Chapada Diamantina National Park part of its territory. Its tourist infrastructure today yields the classification by the Ministry of Tourism as an inducer target to national and international tourism.